Monday, March 10, 2008

Love that surpasses Knowledge – Part 2

I want to look at Jesus' part now. This is the Ephesians 3;14-21. Here it is in its entirety.

For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

This section of scripture has lots of great stuff in it that we could take a look at but I want to focus on one verse in particular. That is verse 19. Verse 19 says that His love for us surpasses knowledge. I just love this part. There is something that Jesus does in our lives that is beyond our own knowledge. Now this may seem like a "da". But for me this was a light bulb moment when I saw this.

For me everything that I know and everything that I am is always limited by my mind. If in my mind I don’t believe it then it isn't true for me (even if in reality it is true). To know that God’s love for me is not limited by my mind and thus my knowledge is huge for me. His love goes beyond my mind and is also not limited to my mind. At the same time He will employ my mind to get to know and understand Him (Romans 12:2).

There are times when Jesus has done things in me and for me that have gone beyond my understanding to grasp them and yet He has done them anyway and I have realized them in my life. In the first two years of my relationship with Him, while I was stilling living with my last lover He changed two things inside of me. He taught me that I was lovable just as He created me. I had spent my whole life pushing away everything about me that was feminine. I didn't want to be a man but I didn't want to be a victim either. To me, anything feminine was a risk of being victimized. I would also build up every thing I could about me to make me more strong, more man like. Growing up I modeled myself not after my mom, but after my dad. I watched everything he did and copied it. I believe in my heart that if I was strong I could not be taken advantage of by men. Now I enjoy my freedom as a woman, fully feminine, fully loved. I still am learning and growing into my whole self. I'm having a blast.

He also showed me and took away my fear of rejection. I had absolutely no social skills as a young girl or woman. I could not talk to you unless you had something that I needed. The only thing that gave me some relief was booze and drugs. At least I didn't feel the pain of rejection while medicated and I was more social under the influence. After Jesus showed me my fear of rejection he then set me to the task of learning how to be more social. As I began practicing being more social He showed me the beauty He has placed in each person that I was willing to take the risk and talk to. I learned very quickly that we, the crown of His creation, are housing the very image of God Himself. If I wanted to know Him there was a way to see Him in all people. He is most creative and wonderful and the beauty that I've been exposed to through all these successive years has been amazing. I did not ask Him to do these things. In fact I did not even know that I had lived with a fear of rejection all my life and that it colored everything that I did. But He changed me any way.

I cannot explain to you how He did these things I can only tell you that I now live a life loving who I am, just as He made me. I also now live a life where the fear of rejection is rarely an issue for me. I now enjoy the opportunity to move freely in my life and get to know others and see the beauty that they are. Such a peace and freedom this has given to me.

There is a whole bunch more that you can get out of the verses above. You could camp there for days and continue to gain new insight and understanding that will bless you and change you. I do want to close this long blog by focusing on the last few lines of scripture from this set.

No comments: